What statement is your hair making? took place at BBC’S New Broadcasting House and was hosted by British journalist Valerie Fontaine, commonly known by her popular blog as Valley Fontaine. Questions answered and discussed on the evening were among the following:
- Why do so many black women who appear on TV prefer to wear their hair straight rather than rock their afro type hair ?
- Have you ever wondered if your afro, braids or weave is right for the job?
- Do men prefer women with long swinging hair?
- What impact would rejecting Wigs, Weaves, Braids & Relaxers have on the black girl and woman’s self esteem?
- Is your hair anybody’s business but your own?
- Does the natural hair community look down on women who wear weaves wigs and relaxers?